- Fisheries Assistant II - Term Position
- Deadman River (5 minutes West of Savona, BC)
- July 4th, 2016
The Secwepemc Fisheries Commission (SFC) of the Shuswap Nation Tribal Council (SNTC) is seeking an individual to assist the Director of Fisheries and the SFC Fisheries Biologist in the implementation of a fish habitat restoration research project. The Fisheries Assistant will be responsible for assisting SFC Fisheries Biologist with field data collection, data entry, education, and stewardship.
- University degree in related discipline preferred;
- Certificates/courses in fisheries related topics an asset;
- Experience with variety of fisheries field techniques and equipment including radio-telemetry preferred;
- Intermediate computer skills essential;
- Previous experience working with First Nations an asset;
- Ability to safely pack heavy equipment and endure the rigors of field work at all times of day and weather
- Ability to travel and ability to work flexible hours;
- Valid First Aid certificate an asset; and,
- Valid driver’s license essential.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Shuswap Nation Tribal Council policies, standards, and procedures, and as directed by the Director of Fisheries.
- Maintains confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of the Shuswap Nation Tribal Council.
Field Data Collection
- Assists in radio-telemetry activities for adult salmon on rigorous schedule and occasionally at night;
- Assists in adult capture (angling and fence) and tagging;
- Assists in vehicle and foot surveys to locate tagged salmon in all terrain;
- Collects, records and enters detailed field data on salmon and their habitat;
- Implements a system of data collection and recording quality assurance and control monitoring (QA/QC);
- Mobilizes and installs heavy field equipment at the field site;
- Downloads data from telemetry receivers and organizes files;
- Troubleshoots electronic equipment;
- Assists with juvenile snorkel surveys and trapping at all hours, as required;
- Assists with project delivery as required (e.g., data compilation, reporting, habitat assessments);
- Maintain open communications on all aspects of the project with fisheries biologist.
- Assists with data entry and reporting as required;
- Records and summarizes extensive field data using MS Excel;
- Maintains an organized database of field data;
- Implements a system of QA/QC on data collection and data entry activities.
- Assists with project delivery as required (e.g., administration, quality control monitoring, data compilation, reporting, pre- and post-project habitat assessments).
- Provides general assistance on band habitat restoration projects as required.
Education & Stewardship
- Assists with on-the-job training and education to technicians as required;
- Assists in stewardship and educational activities as required;
- Liaises effectively with the public as required.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as necessary in the performance of the position and as assigned by the Director of Fisheries.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Full-time Term position (up to 14 weeks), early July to early October;
- Must be willing and able to work long hours including overnight as required;
- Regular hours of work are 7 hours per day, 35 hours per week;
- Job location: Deadman River (5 minutes West of Savona, BC).
In accordance with the SNTC Human Resource Policy, the first priority will be to hire qualified persons of Secwepemc ancestry. Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may also be given to applicants of Aboriginal ancestry.
We invite applications consisting of a cover letter and a resume with names of references to be submitted to the Shuswap Nation Tribal Council attention Murray Ross, Director of Fisheries, no later than 8:30 am (PST), Tuesday, June 28, 2016.
Secwepemc Fisheries Commission
c/o Shuswap Nation Tribal Council
680 Athabasca Street West
Kamloops, BC, V2H 1C4
T: 778-471-8200 F: 778-471-5804
The Shuswap Nation Tribal Council thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.