Tk’emlups te Secwepemc formerly known as Kamloops Indian Band land base was established in 1862 under the direction of Governor James Douglas. It is located east of the North Thompson River and north of the South Thompson River, adjacent to the City of Kamloops.
The word “Kamloops” is the English translation of the Shuswap word Tk’emlups, meaning where the rivers meet and for centuries has been the home of the Tk’emlupsemc, people of the confluence.
Despite the effects of small pox epidemics in the 1800s and early 1900s, Tk’emlups remains the largest of the Secwepemc bands. Today we have more than 1,000 members living on and off the reserve.
Our 33,000-acre reserve, supports a variety of uses including residential, industrial, commercial and agricultural. In recent years, Tk’emlups purchased the former Harper Ranch which added 20,000 acres of land and crown leases for resource development and other economic opportunities. Tk’emlups manages the operation of the Sk’elep School of Excellence, the Tk’emlups Gas Bar and holds the Kamloopa Pow Wow annually.
Chief Fred Seymour
|Mailing Address:||200-330 Chief Alex Thomas Way
Kamloops, BC V2H 1H1
|General Information:||email us|
|Next Election Date:||November 2015|